York/Rock Hill Butterfly Count?

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Sat May 26 20:16:02 EDT 2001

Folks,

I am a butterfly watcher, amateur naturalist and photographer, also a
Carolina Butterfly Society officer (Member at Large for North Carolina). I
dont` think we need another  big argument between collectors and watchers.
Dennis just stated the club policy in his post. I`m sure what he meant was
actually that we`d encourage collectors(leaving their nets in the car) to
join our field trips as I`m sure we could learn a lot from each other.
Personally if I ran across something unusual or out of place I`d see merit
in collecting it for study.

  I know just today I killed a Red Admiral with my windshield and many many
times killed other butterflies while just driving down the road looking for
butterflies, so what harm is moderate collecting I ask? Better than
senseless road kills, at least scientific study is under way when MOST
collectors pick up a few specimens.

I think what some butterfly watchers think collectors are what they read
reports of smugglers or traders that get caught with illegal leps or
collect entire colonies. You can`t properly judge a bushel of good apples
because of one bad apple in the bushel or truckload.

Ron, Thanks for all your hard work and accomplishments as a Lepidopterist.
We watchers have learned much more from you and others like you than most
would like to admit.

Best regards,

Randy Emmitt

Rougemont, NC