RE. The numbers neil and balance

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Thu May 31 12:22:40 EDT 2001

Natural habitat need not continue to decline. Human populations do not need to
grow. Even if human populations do grow, we do not need to damage as much
natural habitat as we sometimes do - consider forest succession in much of the
Eastern United States on what was for a short while farmland. Moreover, we may
need less farmland in the future if we genetically engineer our crops in a
clever, safe and open way. We may need to mine less coal if we put solar
collectors on every rooftop. If our cities are beautiful, we may feel less need
to trash the landscape with suburban development. Even in suburbia, nature can
make something of a comeback if we plant native plants and create corridors for
nature to travel. There are many intelligent paths to a sustainable, democratic
future, and it may help us find them if we think a little more clearly and stop
shouting at each other.

I have a hard time understanding the collector/noncollector debate. It seems
obvious to me that:
1) We should cultivate some respect for the natural world and its inhabitants,
and do them as little damage as possible.
2) We need to explore nature as children and as adults and at times that means
collecting creatures.
3) In places of high human density and low butterfly density, collection should
be discouraged (not forbidden!).
4) In places of high butterfly density and low human density, such
discouragement serves little purpose.
5) No one likes restrictions and no one likes maniacal exploitation, so find a
balance!
6) I cannot see any reason to attack people who discourage collecting (including
those demons of the leps list NABA and Jeffrey Glassberg) under some
circumstances.
7) I cannot see any reason to attack people who defend their right to collect
insects under appropriate circumstances.
8) There are unfortunately circumstances where it is hard for federal or state
law to find the balance. It is somewhat absurd to protect insects in national
parks, since they are killed relentlessly by human activities. But to allow
lepidopterists freedoms not given to hunters, fishers, botanists and rock
collectors would create the appearance of unfairness.
9) Since we will live in this complicated situation for the rest of our lives,
live with it!
10) Smoking, abortion, the Supreme court, the US Constitution, the God-given
right of Americans to do any stupid thing they feel like are all beside the
point. As much as I disagree politically and religiously with many leps-list
members, I am always happy to find out what they are seeing in the field, and
what they are theorizing about those sightings. It is also amusing to read these
rantings, but I am distressed by the extremism in my country (USA) which feels
like it is falling apart, and as a scientist and teacher, I am aggravated no end
by dumb interminable arguments. I prefer smart interminable arguments. Please!

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu