California tortoiseshells

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu May 31 23:30:29 EDT 2001

No way --  "large fast flying ..."  H. charitonius is a "floater". It has a
very weak flight even when frightened.  I would not call charitonius
"large" either. The individual was either mistaken in saying large - fast,
or what they saw was something along the lines of a dark Papilio and the
yellow banding looked like a 'bar" in flight. This is a good case in point
as to why sight records are not acceptable by amateurs.
Ron