New Species

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Thu Nov 1 10:35:35 EST 2001

You want to look for literature in botany concerning this (unfortunately I
have no references on hand). With plants it is possible to have
instantaneous speciation through polyploidy (the number of chromosomes
doubles, triples or even quadruples in a single cell). As far as I know
this has not been documented in animals, though I have a very fuzzy
recollection of reading something about polyploidy in some obscure phylum
of worms... Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Niklas

At 05:33 01.11.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am looking for any publication, preferably on the Internet,
>supporting hypothesis of creation of new species in a lifetime
>of ONE generation.  New species are created NOT over
>millions, or thousands or hundreds or even tens of
>years, but within one generation of a given species. A spontaneous
>burst/mutation of young members of the same generation into new
>species.
>
>Appreciate your respond to this posting.
>
>Regards, AZ

Niklas Wahlberg
Department of Zoology
Stockholm University