something kinda neato :)

Elisa Collins jlygrnmigt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 20:54:56 EST 2001

While in the upper peninsula of Michigan a few weeks ago checking out the
spread of beech bark disease and hoping to find specimens for my collection
despite the fact that it was snowing, I came across an odd little "thing".
Being without a jar, I grabbed it (didn't put up much of a fight...'twas
cold) and ran over to the grad student who seemed willing to put all my
stuff in her little vial.  She had no clue what it was so took it to a prof
when we got back.  She had keyed it out to be a rare trichoptera, but lo and
behold it was a lep (Geometridae).  So until today, I had no idea wingless
leps existed.  If anyone wants to see it I can try to get my hands on a
digital camera this weekend.  Unfortunately the prof who (mis)identified (as
a Pyralidae) it wants to keep it so i only get it until my collection is
graded. :(

later,
elisa