Late Zebra Swallowtail in West Virginia

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Wed Nov 14 17:54:45 EST 2001

Listers,

	I agree with John.  I respect Ron Gatrelle's opinions (as he
knows) but his outright dismissal of the possibility of a late season
Zebra Swallowtail bothered me a bit.  We've had great weather for
this late in the season, and I just returned from Highlands North
Carolina where there was an adult Probole nepiasaria flying around,
clearly confused by the late season warmth.  This species has
probably never been documented as an adult later than early
August before.  If Ron wants to take a shot at me, he can (and has
from time to time!), but I know what I saw.  I don't think that a
confused late Zebra Swallowtail is out of the question.

	James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/  (Georgia Lepidoptera)
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"