tyche in North America ?

Jaakko Kullberg jaakko.kullberg at helsinki.fi
Thu Nov 15 03:25:38 EST 2001

"Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" <Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:6506849CAEBBE24E913A22806016E406F61FA8 at blaze.bcsc.gov.bc.ca...
> Hello Zdravko. Thank you for a most informative posting. I do not have my
> copy of the Code handy but about your comments on the Ochlodes issue I
> wonder if sylvanus is a primary or secondary homonym. If it is a primary
> homonym then my recollection is that it would be permanently invalid under
> the rules and could not be used in the future in a different genus as is
> allowed for secondary homonyms. Also I agree that Oleg Kosterin does
indeed
> have an excellent website with much useful information in addition to the
> photographs. People who are interested in English translations of a number
> of original descriptions will find them at that website

Hi there!

the name sylvanus is really a homonym, but it was conserved by ICZN. This
was in my mind stupid as faunus has been used for years in Russia for the
species.

See: http://www.sciref.org/netf/netf1-3/main1-3f.htm

495. Devyatkin, A.L. (1999) Comment on the proposed conservation of the
specific name of Papilio sylvanus Esper, [1777] (currently Ochlodes venata
or Augiades sylvanus; Insecta, Lepidoptera) [Case 3046]. Bulletin of
Zoological Nomenclature 56(1): 63-65.

  a.. 495-1. A series of commentsby various authors regarding Case 3046 are
presented. This case proposes the conservation of Papilio sylvanus Esper
[1777] over the synonyms Ochlodes venata (Bremer & Grey, 1853) or Augiades
sylvanus. The ICZN has not made a ruling on this case.
And then:

ICZN, 2000: Opinion 1944: Papilio sylvanus Esper, 1777 (currently known as
Ochlodes sylvanus or O. venatus faunus; Lepidoptera): specific name
conserved. - Bull. Zool. Nomencl. 57(1): 56-57.

jaska

Jaakko Kullberg, M. Sc. (Biology)
Collection Manager
Finnish Museum of Natural History