Imperial Valley

Pierre A Plauzoles sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com
Sun Nov 18 11:11:09 EST 2001

Yesterday, I took our daughter to Imperial Valley hoping to show her the
mudpots.  That was a dismal failure because they had apparently all been
hidden by recent rains.  The lep situation, however, was a tad
different: there were numerous "little guys" (small geometrids and
smaller) out and about getting caught on my radiator grille.  I was also
thinking there might be some giant swallowtails (they are, after all,
theoretically, an all-year species there), but we had no such luck -- we
were a little late in the day for them, so I am not too surprised.  The
"little guys" are not really my field of knowledge; if anyone out there
knows what they might have been, I would appreciate some input.  While I
realize that, Imperial Valley being a low desert area, species from
warmer areas can be expected, that does not help me determine what
species are out there.

Thanks.

Pierre A Plauzoles
sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com