Vanessa and the white dot

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue Nov 20 13:19:34 EST 2001

I have  pretty good series of cardui from various locations in North
America, and a couple of specimens from Europe. I don't think any of these
specimens have this white dot (I'll check tonite but I think this is the
case.). Virtually all (or all) of my virginiensishave it. To me, the white
dot is diagnostic for virginiensis and not for cardui. I think Ron
gatrelle's assessment that the specimnen in the photo is aberrant is
reasonable.