For Mr. Gatrelle (and more...)

John MacGregor jonivy at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 26 01:32:26 EST 2001

Mikie <michael_ann at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I found multitudes of skippers nectaring at a vine I only know as Mexican
> Flaming Daisy.

Mikie,

Your Mexican Flame vine is Senecio confusus (its old and generally accepted
name).  It has more recently been saddled with the unpronounceable burden of
Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides, but this new name has not been widely
accepted.  It is native from southern Mexico to Honduras, but it also is
grown outdoors along the Gulf Coast of the USA and in southern California,
where it blooms all year unles it is frosted.  For us, it is a favorite
nectar plant for Gulf Fritillary butterflies (Agraulis vanillae).

John MacGregor
South Pasadena, CA 91030
USDA zone 9   Sunset zones 21/23