Species concepts (and subspecies)

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Mon Nov 26 17:11:14 EST 2001

I forgot to mention that the most recent published revision of the
polyomatine blues placed anna etc into the genus Plebejus. The thing that
puzzles me about xanthoides and dione is why the issue keeps coming up. They
are so different looking and widely disjunct that the very idea of
conspecific status seems extremely odd. All recent books and other
literature that I am aware of treat them as distinct species; a paper from
the 1940's or so pointed out structural difference to boot and nobody has
ever presented any reason for  lumping them - that I am aware of, anyway.