Pipevine question

Pierre A Plauzoles sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 29 00:47:45 EST 2001

--------------9DB4EA6686F2402C482CBA7D

Bob Thomas wrote:

> Did you come across a commercial source for the Pipevine?  I would like to
> start some on my property in California and have been looking for a source.

Hello.

I have heard that the Theodore Payne Foundation may have Aristolochia spp once
in a while.  Incidentally, if attracting the pipevine swallowtail to see the
caterpillars is your goal, be careful what species you get: as I understand it,
Aristolochia elegans is toxic to the caterpillars.  Another couple potential
sources are Boething's TreeLand (a few feet off the Ventura Freeway [US101] in
Woodland Hills, sandwiched between Valley Circle Boulevard and the main entrance
to Hidden Hills) and Sperling Nursery (on the frontage road on the south side of
US101 just west of Calabasas Parkway, about a mile west of Valley Circle
Boulevard in Calabasas.

By the way, you didn't say where in California your property is located;
depending on the species you get, that may also make a difference if the vine is
to be in a location that is exposed to very cold weather.  Check the Sunset
Garden Book.

Pierre

> "Marty Germain" <mgermain at tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:AbtM7.122208$Yb.31241957 at typhoon.tampabay.rr.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > We planted a pipevine plant, which attracted numerous pipevine butterflies
> > this summer and fall.  The caterpillars have long since gone to cocoon and
> > hatched. Can we cut back the pipevine plant, without hurting it, since it
> > spread far further than we anticipated?  We live in the Clearwater, FL
> area.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marty

--------------9DB4EA6686F2402C482CBA7D

Bob Thomas wrote:
I would like to
source.</blockquote>
Hello.
spp once in a while.&nbsp; Incidentally, if attracting the pipevine swallowtail
to see the caterpillars is your goal, be careful what species you get:
as I understand it, <i>Aristolochia elegans </i>is toxic to the caterpillars.&nbsp;
Another couple potential sources are Boething's TreeLand (a few feet off
the Ventura Freeway [US101] in Woodland Hills, sandwiched between Valley
Circle Boulevard and the main entrance to Hidden Hills) and Sperling Nursery
(on the frontage road on the south side of US101 just west of Calabasas
Parkway, about a mile west of Valley Circle Boulevard in Calabasas.
depending on the species you get, that may also make a difference if the
vine is to be in a location that is exposed to very cold weather.&nbsp;
Check the Sunset Garden Book.
in message
to cocoon and
since it