Thunberg, 1791

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Nov 29 09:15:52 EST 2001

But Ron, isn't it true that most of the papers or books written rely on some
other secondary source such as a faunal work or checklist, so that very few
authors actually check or are in a position to check the original works (which
as several recent list contributors have noted) may not be readily accessible.
Authors who actually make nomenclatorial changes (as opposed to systematic
changes) are likely to document their quest and rationale  for the right name
or authority..  Those of us who do faunal works are more likely to perpetuate
errors than make new and original ones.  In the avian literature, the authority
for a particular name is seldom given (unless it is the topic of the paper).  I
doubt that avian systematics is in worse shape than butterfly systematics,
despite having more scientists meddling in it.

MIKE GOCHFELD