Ethyl acetate or ether?

Chris Conlan conlan at adnc.com
Mon Oct 8 19:51:31 EDT 2001

Actually, I can add one other experience to this.  While on a moth
collecting trip a few years ago I was injecting the moths I wanted to keep
with alcohol.  My collecting partner was injecting with ethyl acetate.  Two
days later we were going through our specimens and a very large percentage
of his had greased.  Only one of my specimens had greased and it was one I
had killed when I borrowed his syringe!  He switched to alcohol later in the
trip and had no further problems.  Note that we were both collecting the
same stuff so it was not a species difference.

Chris