Revised USDA Regulations

Wayne.F.Wehling at aphis.usda.gov Wayne.F.Wehling at aphis.usda.gov
Wed Oct 10 15:24:33 EDT 2001

The USDA Regulations that govern the import and interstate movement of
Plant
Pests (i.e. live insect exhibits, butterfly houses, butterflies released at events,
hobby silk moth rearing, research on live Lepidoptera) have been
revised and the proposed regulations are now available for a 60 day public comment
period.  I would encourage everyone to read the proposed regulations and provide comments.
The draft regulations were placed on the Federal Register on Tuesday, 9 October.
Several species of moths and butterflies are proposed for deregulation.

Please be careful to follow the protocols described below when submitting comments.
Comments can not be submitted via email and don't send them to me.

The regulations can be viewed at the following URL's:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=fr09oc01-21
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=fr09oc01-21.pdf

Please send your comment and three copies to: Docket No. 95-
095-2, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Suite 3C03,
4700 River Road Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238.
    Please state that your comment refers to Docket No. 95-095-2.
    You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our
reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA
South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Washington,
DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through
Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you,
please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
    APHIS documents published in the Federal Register, and related
information, including the names of organizations and individuals who
have commented on APHIS rules, are available on the Internet at http://
www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Dr. Robert Flanders, Risk Assessment
Branch Chief, or Ms. Deborah Knott, Permits Branch Chief, PPQ, APHIS,
4700 River Road Unit 133, Riverdale, MD 20737-1236;
Robert.V.Flanders/MD/APHIS/USDA or Deborah.M.Knott/MD/APHIS/USDA