stray Palaearctic noctuid?

Roger C. KENDRICK hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 22:26:56 EDT 2001

Hi James,Maybe Adris tyrannus, but if you send me a jpg under 250kb, I can confirm. Other possibilities include Phyllodes spp., but these are normally even larger. I'd guess this one would either have been transported by ship / plane inadvertantly, or it's just possibly it hitched a ride on one of the typhoons that hit Japan a few weeks ago - these weather systems reduce to low pressure storm systems over the northern Pacific and end up over Alaska and Canada!hope this helps--- James Kruse  wrote: > Greetings:> > I have a good picture of a large, colorful, and probably a strong flying> noctuid that was caught, photographed and released (to my extreme dismay) on> Buldir Island in the western Aleutians. I suspect it is a stray from the> Oriental subregion of the Palaearctic, but I don't know for sure. I have> seen similar species in Japan when I was there.> > It looks like Catocalinae, but not a Catocala spp. The forewings strongly> resemble dead leaves, including the main leaf vein leading out to the> produced apex. The hind wings are yellow with black stripes. The wingspread> looks to be over 3 inches, maybe closer to 4 (wings reach across a woman's> hand). It looks rather distinctive to me. If someone would like to take a> look at this thing I can send the picture.> > Regards,> > James J. Kruse, Ph.D.> Curator of Entomology> University of Alaska Museum> 907 Yukon Drive> Fairbanks, AK, USA 99775-6960> tel 907.474.5579> fax 907.474.1987> http://www.uaf.edu/museum/ento> > > >  >  ------------------------------------------------------------ > >    For subscription and related information about LEPS-L visit:> >    http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl >  >

Roger C. KENDRICK
Ph.D. candidate, Dept. of Ecology & Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong
Senior Conservation Officer, Fauna Conservation, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden, H.K.
http://www.kfbg.org/
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/IGMHKinfo.htm
moths at kfbg.org, hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk or kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk