hatched monarchs

napapen papnapa at jps.net
Mon Oct 15 11:50:06 EDT 2001

I started with 10 in the larva stage but 2 just could not seem to shed
 their skin along the way.   I put them under a net umbrella for
picnics and had a bottle with water and milkweed in it.  Daily I
cleaned droppings and added new milkweed.

About the 10th day some started just walking around and not eating and
finally they went into the j position.  I kept reading different
things on the net about how to handle them. When the first one shed
it's final skin and became a pupa I thought it was having a seizure at
first, it wiggled so much. After becoming pupa I removed them
carefully from the netting and glued a heavy thread to them and
mounted them on a piece of cardboard with the date they became a pupa.
 After all 8 were mounted I went to Maui and left them with my mother
to hatch.

I was not sure how one that had fluid come out of the pupa would do
but it made it.  The hatching took about 12-13 days each.

If I am lucky enough to find some next year, I may do this again.  It
is very rewarding.

NapaPenny