web visitors?

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Wed Oct 17 02:09:42 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "JJCardinal" <jjcardinal at aol.com>
To: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: web visitors?

> Hi Ron:
>
> Why do we need to know this in sci.bio.entomology.lep?  Am I missing a
> connection here?
>
> >This is kind of a mild pet peeve of mine.  I say kind of as I think most
> >people who put up a web sites and then utilize a counter do not
> >intentionally intend to mislead those who "visit" the site into thinking
> >the site is hugely popular and very busy

It is simply that lep web sites are an intricate part of lepstering - which
is why virtually all leps group that are half way serious have one.  This
is an on line listserve and we often get plugs for any number of sites
(which is great).  I just feel webmasters should be honest and not mislead
people about how much traffic they get.  When this is innocently
misrepresented  (and when this occurs with individual sites I think this is
the case) no biggie.  But when organizational or serious individual lep
sites knowingly mislead it is not honest.  The motive would seem to be to
make their Org or site look like the main one or more endorsed than others
by false usage stats, in the minds of users.  Simply put it is false
advertising.  People or organizations that are not honest in one area will
not be honest in others -  like species records or agenda orientated
reports/skewed data etc.  And, no, I do not have some major group in mind -
even though this was brought up in my attention by a site that lets say is
a mid-level want-to-be (in my skewed opinion).

Why do we need to know this via this listserve?  Perhaps we don't, so I'll
drop it 8^).

Ron