Alaskan moth stray ID'd, thanks!

Jaakko Kullberg jaakko.kullberg at helsinki.fi
Wed Oct 17 04:12:04 EDT 2001

"James Kruse" <fnjjk1 at uaf.edu> wrote in message
news:B7F1BAFB.1596%fnjjk1 at uaf.edu...
> Greetings:

Hi there!

> Looks like the Buldir Island Alaska stray is Eudocima tyrranus (Guenée,
> 1852), but appears as Adris tyrranus in Lepidopterorum Catalogus. I don't
> know enough about it to have an opinion on its generic placement, and I
> gather there is some argument.

species name is tyrannus!

> The working theory is that it traveled with a cargo of fruit and flew to
the
> island, or it may have flown in on its own, and I hear that they do not
come
> readily to lights (so my original ship lights version is here deemed less
> likely).

> And a view of a mounted specimen from Russia (also a stray??):

It should be possible for the species to fly by it's own if the winds have
been from SW. In fact I think it is far more likely that the moth did it by
itself! A. tyrannus is native or regular also in the Russian Far East where
many "subtropical" species occur mixed with the boreal ones - especially on
the coast.

cheers,
jaska