Alaskan moth stray

Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock jeff at primus.ca
Thu Oct 18 00:35:09 EDT 2001

James, based on the evidence so far I think I also would lean toward this
moth having made the trip under its own power - might be worth checking to
see if there were any strong "trans-oceanic" storm systems/airflow in the
period around 23 June. If it had shown up around a major port around the
alaskan mainland for example, I would incline more toward the stowaway
theory, but after looking at a map and finding that Buldir Island is just a
speck of land at the far western end of the Aleutians (not far from the
famous - in ornithological circles at least - Attu Island, which is well
known for a star-studded list of vagrant Asiatic birds including many North
American firsts), the unassisted (except meteorologically) flight seems
quite credible and maybe more likely.

Also, I don't think the fresh condition of the specimen is necessarily an
argument against a long wind-assisted flight. Quoting E.B Ford in
Butterflies (1945)  in refeernce to european vagrants in Britain:
"..Lepidoptera are much more quickly damaged by contact with grass and
bushes than they are by sustained flight. Migrating specimens do not
encounter such obstacles, and therefore they often arrive after immense
journeys almost as if newly emerged. The statement is constantly made that a
rare species must have bred in England because an example of it has been
obtained here in perfect condition. This is quite worthless evidence [his
rather strong wording, not mine!]". As you say the question of origins in
cases like this is always difficult, but given the location (and that I'm
not sure why one would suddenly leave a ship near the western end of the
Aleutians) I think the possibility of it being a vagrant under its own power
is pretty good, although perhaps it would be more likely in the fall with
typhoons etc as Roger Kendrick mentioned. There are at least 3 records of
the south american Eudocima materna from Canada in the fall associated with
ex-hurricane systems I think. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff Crolla