Pupae vs. Chrysalis

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 21 20:32:22 EDT 2001

Ken,
    Maybe my teachers got it wrong or went to a different school from
your's. I shall see if I can find a reference they might have used.
Sawflies definitely have caterpillars, as do caddis flies some scorpion
flies and snake flies.
    It is probably simpler and less confusing to talk about larvae and
pupae. I always do.
    Back in 1957 when I raised Lepidoptera for the CNC in Ottawa, the lab
report sheet for preserved specimens had a box for "instar". In this box we
put either e, l1, l2, l3, l4 . . . p, or a. Most holometabolous insects
have more than four instars, most of which are larval and all are separated
from the others by a moult or egg laying.
............Chris Durden
Does an Hedylid have a chrysalis? I would say yes, but I would use the word
pupa to describe it, and I would call the similar stage of an Orange Tip a
pupa too.