NFL Season - day one

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Oct 22 15:34:47 EDT 2001

Another NFL season - Nice (Fricking) Fall Lepping.  Ideally, we'd all be
heading south of the equator, but if that's too far or too expensive, then a
shorter trip somewhere near the 30th parallel can make for some wonderful
lepping during this cooling down period.

10/11/01 - en route to Orlando, FL

Terrorism has had it's toll on insect trekking.  Gone are the days where all
one might need in the field could be carried directly onboard - thus
avoiding the dreaded baggage check.  No longer can one plan on collecting on
airport perimeters just minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.  My
trusty "stick", the beloved wooden handle to my butterfly net, has sadly
been retired for road trip use only.  I've even heard that insect pins
themselves may very likely fail to pass through the security checks - on
account of their potential use as a lethal weapon (incidentally, has anyone
else ever had a pinned insect fly off of the spreading board?  I recall a
large fly that performed this feat - and never was recaptured).

Landing at your destination as late as 3:30 p.m. usually means that you will
not have an opportunity to swing your net that same day.  Not the case in
Florida, however, as much of the year there are many insects that can be
readily found even before exiting the airport grounds.  I stopped along
Boggy Creek Rd., one of my favorite last or first minute spots, and was
pleased to find many leps on the wing until well past 5:00 p.m.

All common stuff, as would mostly be the case for the rest of this exciting
trip (a reunion of sorts), but in mid-October, anything beyond Cabbage
Whites and Fiery Skippers is a welcome sight.  Especially after getting off
an airplane that you've been sitting on for over 5 hours.

Here's my Boggy Creek Rd. list:

Papilio palamedes (Palamedes Swallowtail)
Papilio glaucus (Eastern Tiger Swallowtail)

Nathalis iole (Dainty Sulphur)
Eurema lisa (Little Yellow)
Phoebis sennae (Cloudless Sulphur)

Hemiargus ceraunus (Ceraunus Blue)
Leptotes cassius (Cassius Blue)

Agraulis vanillae (Gulf Fritillary)
Heliconius charithonius (Zebra Longwing)
Anartia jatrophae (White Peacock)
Limenitis archippus (Viceroy)

Danaus plexippus (Monarch)

Epargyreus clarus (Silver Spotted Skipper)
Urbanus proteus (Long-tailed Skipper)
Erynnis horatius (Horace's Duskywing)
Pyrgus communis (Common Checkered Skipper)
Lerema accius (Clouded Skipper)
Hylephila phyleus (Fiery Skipper)

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA