Amish (read at your own risk)

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Mon Oct 22 16:42:01 EDT 2001

Since you have chosen to read this post, I am not responsible for any
reaction you may have to it. In this case ignorance really may be bliss.
:-)  So if you proceed, do so with caution rememberting you can delete at
any time 8-[    RG
*********

It is interesting how we all operate from our own frame of reference --
both with that which we put out and that which we take in.   It only goes
to show the truth in the statement  "The problem with communication is that
people think it occurred."

My reference point with things Amish is strictly religious. Not only am I a
preacher but so was my dad -- a Quaker preacher.  That is what my mom was
and my dad became -- most of her kin were Pennsylvania Dutch. Now we were
the Friends Church brand of Quakers not the Mennonite/Amish type. But we
were very simple and down to earth in everything we did and religious
philosophy.  I am also from Iowa where there is a sizable and famous Amish
area.  So my reference to things Amish is not out of a vacuum.

Now this is not the place for religious arguments.  But I would have plenty
to say on this subject.  I will say these few things.  As a minister I (and
others) consider the Amish a borderline cult.  They are religiously very
narrow and arrogant, and thus very much parallel to the Teleban without the
militancy.  When my oldest daughter got several scholarships to go to
college an Amish person I was acquainted with informed me point blank that
my attributing her being blessed with these scholarships to the Lord was
false. They said "It was the devil that gave her this.  It is of the devil
to go to school for more  than to learn to read the Bible and carry on
simple business."  There is a reason they only educate to about the Junior
High level.

So Leroy, this has nothing to do with Amish frugality. Become one (and
since I know you) you too would soon say they _are_ a cult. Actually you
would be excommunicated first (they are big on that).  By they way, their
excommunication means that unless one repents they will go to Hell. It is
not that one is just kicked out of their church -- they kick you out of
Heaven.  And in case they rest of us are so naive that we don't know how
and why their excommunication works and means by extension  -- it means all
us non Amish are damned in their view - for if one was "saved" they would
follow "their" way as it is = to,  same as, God's way.

Rick, don't be fooled by their interest in things earthy.  Become one and
everything will change.

Mary Beth it has nothing to do with those who like the simpler things of
life.  Harry LeGrand of North Carolina is "only" +/-  interested in
sightings and he is a broadly knowledgeable naturalists and lepster.  His
non-collecting leanings and pro watcher philosophies are totally unrelated
to his knowledge and quest for more understanding. Harry would never refer
to "migrating Tigers" as some have. He (the prototype watcher) gets upset
on carolina leps with the posting of sightings like Juvenal's Dusky Wing
skippers -- in July and August.   My remarks had absolutely -nothing- to do
with ones choice of how to engage in lepidopterology.  It is totally
related to those who are Amish in their view that too technical is almost
evil.  It is not just that they are at "a level" but that they want to
_stay_ at that level and Amishly "shun" (rude silent ridicule) and
"excommunicate" those who want to or do move on.

Ron G.

PS   I feel very sorry for Amish children and consider them intellectually,
culturally, and religiously abused.  There is good reason why many atheists
and agnostics view us religious folks as the world's second most important
problem (right behind world population - which in many countries/societies
is not due to sex drive or lack of available birth control,  but their
religion's encouragement (or demand) that they produce more people to take
their place among the chosen few.)

PPS  If one really wants to see flames visit religious chat groups. What
happens here is nothing.  Lepsters of differing views do point fingers and
exchange occasional harsh words.  We religious folk shoot bullets and drop
bombs.  Coming from that realm, it is no wonder why I seem caustic at times
to others here or why I often wonder why some in this realm are so touchy.
I like Mary Beth and I don't think I'm too far off to say that while I tick
her off at times I'm basically OK by her too.   8^])