delete button, skippers and hedylids

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Tue Oct 23 16:19:38 EDT 2001

Hey Andy,
What is the current position on the Castniidae?  Are they a
paraphyletic group or are they more close to skippers?  I remember
catching one in Peru.  The behavior (diurnal) seemed between that of
Hamadryas or Catocala or something.  Didn't Jackie Miller work on
these to some extent? I'm not up on the lit. here.  See you in a few
weeks at the meeting!
Cheers and welcome back, Rich

>The 1996 de Jong et al. paper concludes that the most
>likely candidates for a sister group to butterflies are
>the Uraniidae or Hedyloidea.  The authors admit that
>their results are not particularly convincing and many
>more taxa should be studied to improve the robustness of
>their data.  They did not lend particulrly strong
>support to the idea that Hedylids should be considered
>to be butterflies.

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division