Mortality census?

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 21:46:02 EDT 2001

May:

Death by automobile is your least worry.

I have been collecting butterflies and moths in Florida for over 35 years.
Both as a visitor and resident. One of the most famous areas in north Florida
for Lepidopterists are the Turkey Oaks south west of Williston, Levy County.
An area about 7 miles south of Willston on SR121 consisted of several
thousand acres and the spot was know as the bunker (For a cinder block
building that housed equipment for gas transmission line.) It was home to
lots of butterflies, and especially Schinia moths. I have recorded a total of
26 species from this spot. Plus numerous other moths. In the fall the flower
bloom was fabulous.

I returned to the spot on 9 Oct 2001 and found a 5000+ acre peanut field. And
we worry about collectors. Without habitat, there will be no Lepidoptera!

I can't sign off with Cheers this time.

Tears,

Leroy C. Koehn
The Editor