LEPS-L Listowner notes

Lawrence F. Gall lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:48:25 EDT 2001

Hello LEPS-L & sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera subscribers,

I'd like to bring two things to everyone's attention.

First, our list archives are now accessible from several new sources.
Yale University recently began archiving email traffic for all the
lists that it hosts using the MHONARC program (pronounced just like the
butterfly); see http://listarc.mail.yale.edu/mhonarc/leps-l/threads.html
This offers the ability to browse and search by topic, date, etc.  You
can also explore our archives at http://www.google.com, which assumed
ownership of the material formerly at dejanews (this actually happened a
while ago; follow links on that page to the sci.bio newsgroup section).

Second, I have received several complaints from subscribers in the last
month about off-topic material and postings that include personal attacks
on other individuals.  While some occasional straying from "best practice"
is unavoidable in such a large forum of participants, I'd like to remind
everyone of some ground rules for LEPS-L/s.b.e.l:

(1) postings should be limited to Lepidoptera-related topics
(2) write courteously & respectfully at all times
(3) write with brevity & clarity at all times
(4) refrain from overtly commercial ("buy/sell") notices
(5) refrain from sending attached files to the list

For (4) and (5), please make off-list arrangements, such as directing
people to a web site where the material resides.  A more detailed
discussion of expectations regarding LEPS-L/s.b.e.l. can be found
at http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/lepsl (note in particular
the links from that page to the FAQ sheet).

Enjoy,

Larry (LEPS-L Listowner)

: Dr. Lawrence F. Gall               e-mail: lawrence.gall at yale.edu  :
: Head, Computer Systems Office &     voice: 1-203-432-9892          :
: Curatorial Affiliate in Entomology    FAX: 1-203-432-9816          :
: Peabody Museum of Natural History    http://www.peabody.yale.edu   :
: P.O. Box 208118, Yale University                                   :
: New Haven, CT 06520-8118 USA                                       :