Mortality census?

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu Oct 25 11:03:40 EDT 2001

Hi May. I have never censused the levels of mortality from vehicle
collisions but one way to look at this is to realize that this appears to be
an unavoidable source of mortality and that butterflies have high
reproductive rates to compensate for high mortality. An empirical study
(Munguira and Thomas 1992) showed that major roads with high traffic volumes
in the UK did not cause significant problems for butterflies.  Mortalities
from vehicle collisions were insignificant compared to natural factors.
Wide and busy roads were not a barrier to movement.  Roadsides provided
important butterfly habitat in a landscape heavily modified by human
activity.  One of the largest UK populations of a rare butterfly existed on
a patch of roadside habitat.