alaskensis & gibsoni

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Fri Oct 26 13:42:07 EDT 2001

Boloria (Clossiana) alaskensis Lehmann (maybe = gibsoni Barnes and
McDunnough 1926). I understand this butterfly to be present in extreme
northern Alaska and east into Canada. It is treated in recent literature as
a subspecies of Boloria frigga. As is so often the case, I am not aware of
any literature that explains why I should accept that taxonomic
interpretation.  And again as usual I am inviting comments and especially
literature citations that perhaps do explain why it should be viewed as a
ssp. of frigga. Also any literature citations that clearly demonstrate that
these names do in fact apply to the same butterfly. Thank you. PS. of course
there are the usual nomenclatural intricacies which include the name
lehmanni Holland so naturally comments on that aspect of the situation are
also welcome. Double PS. I have read what Miller and Brown 1981 said about
this, I am interested in other perspectives though.

Norbert Kondla  P.Biol., RPBio.
Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management
845 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar, British Columbia V1N 1H3
Phone 250-365-8610
Mailto:Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca