Polites origenes or P. themistocles?

Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock jeff at primus.ca
Tue Oct 30 20:16:35 EST 2001

I think they are both themistocles. On the ventral photo of the Oct 7 one,
the olive tinge to the ventral HW and outer FW , the bright orange along the
ventral FW costa, and the small-winged (to my eye) look with a
proportionally broad fringe all look more like themistocles. The cubital
spot does look more like what I would expect for origenes (slightly concave
on both sides) but based on the extensive orange costa and the ventral view,
I still lean toward themistocles.
In the first photo of the Oct 3 one the very yellow color of the FW spots
(even when fresh I think these are a lighter cream in origenes) and the
shape of the cubital spot (concave on the outside, convex on the inside
making a chevron like Chris Durden said) looks typical of themistocles,
although in this case the spot is a little narrow. The small cell spot on
the FW Chris Durden mentioned is sometimes shown by origenes also.

Jeff Crolla