Now only 3 (Monarch larvae)

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Wed Oct 31 22:21:32 EST 2001

Late this afternoon I inspected the Butterfly weed and located only 3
larvae.  (There were 5 at the same time yesterday).  I looked about and did
not locate the other two which I assume went off to pupate.  There is not a
lot of thick ground cover so pre-pupa would not be hard to find.   In fact
in one direction is only mown grass and then the street.   My 12 year old
keeps wanting to bring them inside.  But we are going to see what happens
to these late season surprises as is.

Last post I noted how we got an A. tuberosa to still be fully leafed this
time of year.  This leads me to this question.  Do southward moving
Monarch's not oviposit simply because the suitable hosts are dried up.  If
green plants are found will they oviposit even though in the migration
mode???

Ron