Why Mitoura?

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 1 21:22:07 EDT 2001

Ron,
    In 1982 (JLS36:10) I noted a ventrally-green-scaled var. of *C.
(Incisalia) solatus* in Austin TX. At the time I seriously considered the
possibility that it was a wild hybrid of *solatus* with *C. (Mitoura)
sweadneri*. I discarded this possibility because there were no
morphological characters other than the structurally colored scales, that
would support this. I regret that this specimen was an influence in my
deciding to follow the "conservative" course of considering both species
congeneric in *Callophrys*, but in separate subgenera. Since that time a
lot of "Callophri" have passed under my eyes, coming from points between
Guatemala and Quebec (including many produced by that gifted collector,
John Kemner) and I too am astounded by the plasticity of the genera in this
complex and the frequent expression of parallel traits. Those two species
from the 1982 report I now determine as *Deciduphagus solatus* and *Mitoura
siva*? undescribed subspecies.
.............Chris Durden
(Representing my current opinion, not the consensus of a clique.)