how do they do it? seeing larvae

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Mon Sep 3 00:26:17 EDT 2001

 >I think you need a room-sized insectary in sunlight for part of the day
with potted saplings of a selection of candidate larval foodplants.

Apparently so, from the replies I've gotten.  You need to cage the female
with some of the food plant and hope she acts naturally (I'm not clear on
the size of the cage, but it's bigger than a large paper bag).   This is
way past what is worth trying to undertake in an apartment unless you are
really hellbent.   I already went through this with exotic plants - you can
successfully raise demanding organisms, or you can have a life, but you
can't have both.

The other method is to look through lots and lots of host trees outdoors
and eventually find one.
*sigh*
You sure would think that just by chance eventually one would see a female
tiger swallowtail laying eggs, even if they were out of reach.   They lead
a mysterious life, like fish do underwater, in which they are never in view
for long enough to tell what they're doing.    You need a tree house.

Liz

Liz Day
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA  (40 N, ~86 W)
Home of budgerigar Tweeter and the beautiful pink inchworm (Eupithecia
miserulata).
USDA zone 5b.  Winters ~20F, summers ~85F.  Formerly temperate deciduous
forest.
daylight at kiva.net
www.kiva.net/~daylight