Still another code violation

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 4 09:24:17 EDT 2001

Alex, I worry about that a lot. Particularly up in the Albany area I
keep hoping to find cocyta, but haven't yet.  We did see one individual
in northern NJ which we were confident was cocyta, but it eluded us.

But you mention obvious differences.  What are they in your view.

I'm not surprised that observers take for granted that everything is
tharos. The odds are certainly in its favor in many places.  In NJ
virtually no one thinks of cocyta.

But the same could be said for the tiger swallowtails, large
fritillaries, etc. I'm sure lots of things get overlooks by being taken
for more common species.
 MIKE GOCHFELD

"Grkovich, Alex" wrote:

> The other thing is that, at least here onthe North Shore of Boston, P.
> cocyta is being almost totally overlooked by MassLep people who are calling
> EVERY Crescent they see here "Pearls". Despite the obvious differences of
> appearance between the two.
>    Alex

Michael Gochfeld, MD, PhD
Professor of Environmental and Community Medicine
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and
Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
170 Frelinghuysen Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854  USA
732-445-0123 X627  fax 732-445-0130