Why Mitoura?

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Tue Sep 4 12:52:48 EDT 2001

Just to add to Alex's PS re the importance of placing organisms in their
ecological and geographic context. It is a sad fact that some people take a
brief look at museum specimens and conclude that name Y is intermediate
between name X and name Z. They then further conclude that therefore these
are all the same species or that there is no point in recognizing them as
subspecies. Unfortunately people who do such things all too frequently have
zero knowledge of the geography and ecology of the areas that the named taxa
inhabit and they make the erroneous assumption that visual 'intermediacy'
equates to taxonomic 'intermediacy'. A quick example comes to mind. One
correspondent has expressed the view that Polygonia oreas threatfuli is
intermediate between Polygonia oreas silenus and Polygonia oreas oreas and
therefore it does not deserve a subspecies name. This is bizarre logic. The
published record is quite clear that all three taxa are geographically
isolated (ignore the published range maps because they join the distribution
records on the basis of assumption;use the published distribution maps) and
live in quite different ecosytems with distinct biogeographic histories and
there is no evidence of any interaction that could produce 'intermediate'
specimens/populations. The published distribution information in terms of
spatial deployment on the landscape makes it perfectly clear that threafuli
cannot be intermediate in a real biological or ecological sense.  If someone
is sitting on evidence of continuous populations linking these taxa then I
would sure like to see that published. Further, silenus is grossly and
obviously different from both oreas and threatfuli. My recollection (subject
to a literature check) is that silenus was published as a distinct species
and nothing has ever been published to demonstrate otherwise. Of course we
should not discount the influence of differing color and pattern
discrimination skills as a driver on some of these taxonomic issues :-)