Klots and species ---

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Wed Sep 5 14:33:31 EDT 2001

But "a population" may refer to the population of my neighborhood, or of the
city, or of the county, or of the state (or province - I grew up in Canada),
or of the country. The "population" of the nation is, for example, made up
numerous "populations" on the local level, i.e. all individuals ultimately
are Americans (in the USA) or Canadians (in Canada). The same way, a
population of Boloria eunomia dawsonii may refer to the single colony north
of Errol, New Hampshire, or to the single colony north of St. Ignace,
Michigan, or ultimately to all of the colonies of eastern North America,
which collectively, comprise the "population" of the subspecies. I have read
this particular statement by Klots many times over the years, and have
always understood it as such.