polyphemus in CT

Martha Rosett Lutz lutzrun at avalon.net
Thu Sep 6 11:44:14 EDT 2001

John Himmelman wrote:

"I had reared out some Antheraea polyphemus from some eggs laid by a female
I found in early July.  I fed them chestnut and chestnut oak.  They went
into cocoon at various times ranging from early to late August.  So far,
four of them have eclosed over the last two days!  I never even had a
chance to get them out to their cocoonery to overwinter!  In CT, it would
be expected that they wouldn't eclose until late next spring.
Any idea of what may have caused their accelerated their development?"

Were they reared indoors, under artificial light?  I can 'force'
multivoltine Saturniids to go through 'extra' generations by rearing the
larvae under long day-lengths using artificial light.  The only univoltine
species I have worked with is H. cecropia, and no matter what I do I only
get one generation per year.  But I can start (i.e. cause adults to emerge,
mate, and lay eggs) lunas or other multivoltine species in early March and
keep them going until November (this is part of a project related to taking
these pretty moths into grade schools for the kids to work with--not just a
mindless attempt to mess up the moths).

If your larvae were outdoors and/or under natural light conditions . . .
maybe just pioneers, seeing if they can get away with one more generation!

In Stride,
Martha Rosett Lutz

P.S.  A. polyphemus larvae will eat--and may thrive on--autumn leaves, even
ones that are changing color, as long as the leaves are well hydrated and
the insects are kept warm.