Species definitions!

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu Sep 6 16:15:50 EDT 2001

OK, I confess :-). I do indeed have a bandwagon/agenda. There is so much
that we do not know about even such a tiny part of the biodiversity on this
planet as my friends the butterflies.  There is a lot of really speculative
stuff and just plain goofy stuff in the literature on butterfly taxonomy
that needs to be researched and reconsidered under a different light and new
information. We desperately need more people with energy and open minds
looking into these affairs. The idea that we intelligent human beings should
continue to repeat past errors in nomenclature and taxonomy just because
some people like to have stable names is highly abhorent to me. There cannot
be progress without change and there cannot be change without people
questioning the status quo as perpetrated by those who are willing to
subvert science for reasons of name stability or databasing technicalities.
That is my secret agenda - lets learn more about butterflies, lets have fun
doing it, lets correct the errors of the past, lets share what we learn with
other people who may be interested. As usual, everyone else is most welcome
to pursue their agenda as well :-)