Taxonomy and biology

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Fri Sep 7 13:07:17 EDT 2001

Something in the back of my feeble old mind crept to the front and caused me
to reflect on taxonomy and nomenclature with the perhaps erroneous
recollection that these noble tools were originally invented to facilitate
communication among biologists (and everyone else with biological/natural
history interests) and to facilitate the study of living organisms. I
sometimes think these pursuits have taken on a life of their own and are
pursued as an end onto themselves.
Perhaps we need to remind ourselves of their "proper" place in the grand
scheme of things. Sometimes it is indeed easy to lose sight of the forest
because of all the trees :-) I wonder at times if the tail is wagging the
dog :-) Blast away with impunity and gusto if you see it differently :-)

Norbert Kondla  P.Biol., RPBio.
Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management
845 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar, British Columbia V1N 1H3
Phone 250-365-8610
Mailto:Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca