another trash name

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 10 23:47:51 EDT 2001

The genus and indeed all other supraspecific groups are merely artifacts of
extinction. When a cluster of species survive we tend to call that cluster
a genus. It is a very useful concept. It allows us to talk about a set of
lineages that must be doing something right.
    When the extinction of intermediate lineages is incomplete and the
groups resulting from cluster analysis are not clean, we tend to give up,
throw away the information just gained, and lump into large genera. This is
where subgenera and superspecies are useful concepts.
    Consider for a moment the arrangement: Homo (Homo) sapiens, Homo (Pan)
troglodytes, and Homo (Pan) paniscus. Does that not seem comfortable to all
but the most extreme lumpers and splitters?
..............Chris Durden