Irruptions

cmbb at sk.sympatico.ca cmbb at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 19 10:03:54 EDT 2001

This summer in southeast Saskatchewan three butterflies that may be seen
here on occassion were found in vast numbers:  Variegated Fritillary,
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)  and Checkered White.

I was particularly fortunate in that I came across a "colony" of Checkered
White in ditches filled with volunteer Alfalfa beside cultivated fields and
cattle pastures going on for miles.  Numbers were in the tens of thousands.

This summer has been hot and dry with winds coming up from the southern
U.S.A.  The "traditional" view is that our summer weather comes from the
west.  But as the farm saying goes, "In a drought all signs fail."

Martin Bailey,

cmbb at sk.sympatico.ca
Weyburn, SK., Canada.
phone/fax  306-842-8936