moth ID

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Wed Sep 19 11:27:55 EDT 2001

Dave,   Made the change this time!
There are a few similar species of these noctuids.  My first guess,
when I saw the photo and the reference to cotton nearby, was
Heliothis virescens, which is called by different common names
depending on what it feeds on: Cotton Bollworm, Tomato Fruitworm, or
Tobacco Budworm.  At least that's how I learned it.  I've also seen
them often on petunias in gardens both in Calif. and Oregon.  Tom has
much more experience with noctuids than I do, so I'd go with him on
this one.  But some of the ones you see in the traps may still be
virescens.

Cheers, Rich

>  >I was unable to reply directly to Dave Green.
>
>Look at the e-mail address and make the obvious changes. It's so the spam bots
>won't pick it up (hopefully).
>
>His moth feeding on the yellow
>  >flower is Helicoverpa zea (corn earworm), Noctuidae.
>
>    Ah, I think I've seen it in the cotton IPM traps. It never occurred to me
>that the adults would visit other flowers than cotton, so I didn't
>think of it.
>(Duh!)
>
>    Is this the same species as bollworm, just a different common name, or are
>they very closely related species?
>
>   Thanks for the help.
>

>Pollinator at aol.com     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
>The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com
>Disclaimer:  Opinions aren't facts; learn the art of discrimination. Opinions
>presented for your use and amusement; use at your own risk.

Richard A. Worth
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Plant Division
rworth at oda.state.or.us