luminescent moths?

sumairp at lycos.com sumairp at lycos.com
Mon Sep 24 13:02:02 EDT 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:53:15 +0900, "Eric Larson"
<erikkuraason at nifty.com> wrote:

>I once saw what appeared to be a luminescent moth in the jungle in
>Taman Negara National Park, Malaysia.  Is there such a thing?  If so,
>what is the scientific name?

I don't know of any "luminescent" lepidoptera at all. However, there
are iridescent butterflies & moths.

Sorry, but we are a pedantic lot in this newgroup.LOL Luminescent
means to emit or give off light, whereas iridescent means
rainbow-like color.

There are quite a number of butterflies that have iridescent-like
colors, but only a few moths. Of the moths, Urania ripheus
(Madagascar) is probaby the most spectactular.

cheers,
Chris Hocking