Gochfeld's West Nile op-ed]

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 25 18:00:00 EDT 2001

FYI----Since several people have asked me for my editorial on West Nile
Virus,  here is the first draft of my OP-ED piece. It was edited down to
600 words and published in the September 11, 2001 issue of the Newark
Star Ledger.

That was remarkably poor timing. Apparently no one saw it and no one has
contacted me to complain about my callous treatment of this forlorn
virus.  Compared to the uncomprehensible events of that day, it's easy
to forget West Nile (and many other public health problems).

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> [...]
> which have been around for a long time.
>         Indeed, humans are not a normal host for West Nile virus and the
> vast majority of people who are infected by the virus, never realize
> that they are infected and have no symptoms at all.  Of the less than
> one percent of infected individuals who do get symptoms, only a small
> percentage get the severe central nervous system syndrome of
> encephalitis and/or meningitis.   Only the latter condition,
> West Nile Encephalitis, might warrant the designation of "deadly" since
> somewhere between 5 and 15% of those who reach that point will succumb.
>         If people die of the disease at all, why does it matter how many
> or what percent?  It matters because the seriousness of the threat
> determines the aggressiveness of the response.  The greater the risk of
> disease, the greater the risks we are willing to take to stop it.  Back
> in the dark ages of autumn 1999, the suggestion that aerial or broadcast
> spraying of pesticides against adult mosquitoes was not only undesirable
> but unnecessary was considered anaethema, a crackpot idea of the
> environmental fringe. After all, the virus was "deadly".
>         By spring of 2000, howeer, the climate had changed.  Public
> health officials both at the federal Centers for Disease Control and
> Prevention (CDC) and in state health departments,  had rallied and began
> delivering  a common message.  Spraying for adult mosquitoes was
> relegated to its deserved last place among control methods.
>         The overall public health practices of eliminating mosquito
> breeding places, treating standing water to kill larvae, and reducing
> behavior conducive to mosquito bites, has finally won out and the
> message is being gotten across. However, when NJDEP Commissioner Robert
> Shinn announced a statewide tire cleanup, it garnered scant mention in
> the press.
>         While all this debate over West Nile control goes on, about 2400
> people die each year of pneumonia and flu-like diseases in New Jersey,
> not to mention over 300 dying from firearms-related events.   The one
> West Nile death in New Jersey in 2000, though tragic,  doesn't begin to
> approach the magnitude of these traditional public health problems which
> rarely garner comparable media attention.
>         So what should we have learned from our misadventure with West
> Nile virus.  Health risks need to be understood in order to be balanced.
> The intervention must be warranted by the risk.  Despite reassurances
> from pesticide manufacturers and applicators, the pesticides (both
> active and inert ingredients) are not benign. Moreover, considering that
> children rarely develops symptoms of West Nile infection, should parents
> still be are urged to apply the neurotoxic repellant DEET to "protect"
> their children. Now that one rarely hears the word "deadly" associated
> with West Nile, it becomes much easier for individuals, health officials
> and communities to make thoughtful decisions.
	West Nile Virus has now been detected over most of eastern North
America. There have been several human cases and even one death (in
Georgia) attributed to the virus. Its spread was predicted as early as
1999, yet health officials in Florida were beleagured by frantic calls
to stop the invader. Proposals included wholesale destruction of bird
populations, a draconian measure.  Florida did report one case of
Eastern Equine Encephalitis, a disease that warrants closer
surveillance.
>         Individuals must feel empowered to control their own risk by
> reducing exposure to mosquitoes through a combination of activities.
> It's easier to make a house mosquito proof than spray proof.  Most
> mosquitoes that bite humans are not infected, and the vast majority of
> people who become infected won't get sick.  Spraying of adulticidal
> pesticides are the LAST rather than FIRST measure for preventing an
> outbreak of West Nile.  Whether it can be justified for Eastern Equine, depends on the circumstance.  Bird and mosquito surveillance are important and should cover multiple viruses.
> Sound public health and effective risk communication remain important,
> and West Nile has reinforced that lesson.  All this is said while
> extending sympathy to the victims of West Nile and their families, as
> well as the victims of dozens of other more widespread, more serious and
> preventable public health problems.

Michael Gochfeld is a Professor of occupational medicine and
environmental toxicology in the Department of Environmental and
Community Medicine of UMDNJ's Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and a
member of the Environmental and Occupational Health Institute.