Digital camera

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Sep 27 13:59:06 EDT 2001

I don't own a camera of any kind and obviously don't do pictures.  Everyone
else in my family from the 13 year to the 33 year old "kids" and the wife
are all photo buffs ranging from beginner to semi-professional.

I asked my son-in-law Joe about the digital camera question as for the last
year and a half he has taken all the photos for The Taxonomic Report.  His
response is below.

We take all our pictures outside in natural light.  We use two set ups.
One is in slight shade to eliminate shadows.  The other is to place the
insect pin on a long narrow wooden dowel ("sticky tack" on end of dowel)
which takes the specimen far away from the background to eliminate shadows.
The quality of these pictures can be seen in the photos section of the TILS
web site http://www.tils-ttr,org  All these on line photos have been
significantly reduced from their original size.  With a good zoom there is
no need to get closer than 6 to 8 inches to the subject.   Check out the
Papilio joanae photos in particular - you can tell they were taken is sun
light by the translucency of the wings. Ron

Joe says:
This is a link to the camera I have:  Olympus D-460

Here is a link to an Olympus Filmless Digital Cameras product (D-460 Zoom)
that may be of interest to you:

http://www.olympus.com/product_email.asp?product=524&s=12&p=16&id=17047

At www.olympusamerica.com you can also learn about the full range of
Olympus products, including digital and 35mm cameras, camera accessories,
digital photo printers, binoculars and voice recorders.