[leps-talk] Re: A reply on common names

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 1 17:24:47 EST 2002

I seriously question the wisdom of calling P.c. arcticus a Monarch, even in
Alaska.

Lots of people in New Jersey refer to the Great Blue Heron as a Crane, and I
suspect that if it came to a vote, more people would recognize this as a Crane
than a Heron. But I don't think anyone seriously proposes changing its name on
that basis, any more than the Turkey Vulture gets called a Buzzard, even
though that is certainly a commonly used name among lay folk here.  If someone
tells me they've seen a buzzard or asks about the buzzards, I feel I can
communicate with them clearly enough without either correcting them or
changing my usage.

Mike Gochfeld