Storing Pupal cases

James Kruse fnjjk1 at uaf.edu
Wed Apr 3 13:05:02 EST 2002

I learned from Jerry Powell to use gel capsules. Put the pupa shell inside
and pin the capsule. Of course there is a maximum size.

James J. Kruse, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK, USA 99775-6960
tel 907.474.5579
fax 907.474.1987
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/ento

on 4/2/02 8:38 PM, SK Khew at khewsk at hotmail.com wrote:

There are times when I am able to breed caterpillars of butterfly species,
either from eggs or juvenile caterpillars that I find in the wild.  Upon
hatching, I keep the empty pupa cases for future reference.

Can anyone advise me on the best way of storing these pupa cases?  Would
merely putting them in air-tight glass vials and storing them away do?  Is
it necessary to store them in alcohol or other preservatives?

<http://g.msn.com/1HM504901/j>