Bulb and inverter question

Eric H. Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Fri Apr 5 10:20:19 EST 2002

Todd,

You need an inverter that is strong enough to start up the bulb.  For
example, it takes 45 watts to start a 15 watt fluorescent bulb.  The
inverter doesn't have to work very hard once the bulb was lighted, but
the inverter has to have enough capacity to start the bulb.

So, before you acquire an inverter, you'll have to determine the wattage
necessary to start up the bulb.  Also, an inverter running at near
capacity will soon fail.

As for the old bulbs, you'll have to contact the manufacturers, although
the 3200 degrees kelvin of bulb you listed will do a lot.  I don't know
the equiveland of 3200 K, but you can easily find out with a bit of
modest research.  Also, remember, the color balance, in this case 3200
K, is the average output.  The answer does not tell you about the
make-up of the wavelengths. You'll still have to talk to the manufacturer.

Good luck,

Eric Metzler
Columbus OH