vaportape strips in bucket traps

Eric H. Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Fri Apr 12 22:51:37 EDT 2002

Ken,

They don't have great knock down power, but they will kill given time.
If you use them, you should also use a small amount of something to
knock down the specimens, or crumple some newspaper or paper towel for
the specimens to climb into while dying. Especially for beetles, you'll
want to keep the moths up and away from the constant crawling.
Newspaper or paper town can do this.

Have you no source for ethyl acetate?  It is a common chemical.  I buy
it in Columbus in 5 gallon buckets and it doesn't cost too much.  You
can get it from commercial chemical supply companies. There are several
sources in Columbus, Ohio.

When you handle the vaportape, always wear rubber gloves, and a
breathing mask is a good idea.  This stuff can cause sever nerve damage
(which can be counteracted in time) but the long term affects could be
very dangerous for a young man like yourself.  Be very careful.

Good luck,

Eric Metzler writing from Columbus Ohio where it is finally warming up.
  I went baiting last night and found some Lithophane and Eupsilia, as
well as several Tortricidae.