mystery sphingid larva ID'd!

Tony Thomas mothman at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Apr 15 20:25:46 EDT 2002

James Kruse wrote

"the larval sighting was Proserpinus flavofasciata.

This is only the fourth time that this critter has been found and
reported/captured in the Fairbanks area, and the first in about a decade.
Not _really_ a surprise I suppose, since they are great bumblebee mimics as
adults I will be watching closely for
adults this spring!"

Forget trying to see/catch adults but concentrate on mature larvae. To say
they are not cryptically coloured is an understatement. To those who have
not seen the mature larva, it is black with yellow spiracles and feeds by
day high up on fireweed eating both leaves and flower buds. It's an easy
search in an usually easy habitat. Trouble is almost all the mature larvae
I have collected contained a parasitoid. If you do succeed in finding
healthy larvae they pupate beneath the surface in the soil but they will
not dig down unless they are in full sun. The parasitoid larva emerges
before the sphingid larva 'digs in' so any larvae that do 'dig in' are
clean. Young larvae are less often hit by parasitoids but such larvae are
cryptically coloured and consequently harder to find. Best found by looking
for feeing damage on the leaves. Easy to rear.

Tony