Vanessa Butterfly Project; Request for Reposting

Royce J Bitzer mariposa at iastate.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:18:22 EDT 2002

At 01:25 PM 4/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Could you please post the Vanessa Project again.
>Ed Reinertsen

Leps-L members,

I am posting this message again in response to Ed's request, and for the
benefit of others who may have been interested, but missed it the first time.

Thank you,
Royce Bitzer
mariposa at iastate.edu

This message is to announce the start of the 2002 _Vanessa_ Butterfly
Migration Project.  In a way similar to Journey North's Monarch tracking,
we will be mapping migration and seasonal distribution of four _Vanessa_
butterflies in North America:

Red Admiral (_Vanessa atalanta_)
Painted Lady (_Vanessa cardui_)
American Lady (_Vanessa virginiensis_)
West Coast Lady (_Vanessa annabella_)
1.      We are looking for observers to tell us the first date that they
see (or have seen) any of these butterflies in their area, and the numbers
seen that day.  If the butterfly was a permanent winter resident in your
area this year, please tell us likewise.

2.      If there are noticeable directional migrations of these species
this year, we would appreciate your reports of these migrations.

3.      Reports of presence or abundance of these butterflies later in the
season are also welcome.  We encourage multiple observations from the same
region.
Please include your full name, e-mail address, the location from which you
observed, and the date or dates when you see these butterflies.  For
evident directional migrations, please include also the direction toward
which they seem to be moving.  A rough estimate of how frequently they are
passing through (for example, 10 butterflies over 20 minutes) would also be
helpful, as would notes on temperature, wind speed and direction, and type
and extent of cloud cover.

For more information about this project and how to report your
observations, see the Red Admiral and Painted Lady Research Site

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mariposa/homepage.html

Select the links "Help track the 2002 North American Migrations" and "How
to Report Your Observations."  We are taking observations through e-mail
(mariposa at iastate.edu) at the moment, but hope to have a reporting form and
database available soon to make reporting easier.

We already have results from this year.  A link to a map showing sightings
of the first Red Admiral of the 2002 season can be found at

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mariposa/maps2002.htm

We have also included maps of the progress of the large spring 2001 Red
Admiral and Painted Lady migrations, which can be reached from

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mariposa/maps2001.htm

If you have observations from last year that you would like to share,
please feel free to send these to us also.  We will add them to the
existing maps.

Thank you for your time and interest,

Royce J. Bitzer
mariposa at iastate.edu

Dept. of Entomology
113A Insectary
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa  50011
Phone: (515) 294-8663

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mariposa/homepage.html

The Red Admiral and Painted Lady Research Site
A web site to encourage and coordinate
field studies of territorial behavior
and migration of Vanessa butterflies